Submitted by resident group, Grey Resistance Indivisible – May 2020
A Word from GRI Coordinator, Mari Stuart
Hopefully by the time you are reading this we are on the road to recovery. It is time to collect and energize ourselves and most importantly refocus on the upcoming election. Yes, we are in the midst of an ELECTION YEAR. Please select from the ideas below – simple yet effective and NECESSARY steps that will begin to engage you in the election process.
If you have 5 minutes (and who among us doesn’t?) here’s what you can do: Donate to a Senate Candidate in a toss-up race –
- Michigan: Gary Peters. petersformichigan.com
- Colorado: John Hickenlooper. secure.hickenlooper.com
- Arizona: Mark Kelly. Markkelly.com
- North Carolina: Cal Cunningham. calfornc.com
- Kentucky: Amy McGrath amymcgrath.com
Magnify Your Impact
After you’ve made a donation, email or call a friend and encourage them to follow your lead.
Call Your MOC’s
Thank them for the steps they have taken to speak Truth to Power and encourage them to work in a bipartisan ways where possible. It will take courage and fortitude to meet the present demands of the crisis and also during the re-entry stages to follow.
If you have 30 minutes here is something you can do –
Send postcards to voters in Toss-Up states(follow the suggestions from Jean Garwood in the section titled “Election Team” below.)
If you have 1-2 hours (most of us!)
- Write letters encouraging people in Toss-Up states to register and/or vote. Again, please follow Jean Garwood’s guide. She is co-chairing the Election 2020 team and would appreciate each of us checking in with her as she is coordinating this effort.
- Text Banking. We have the opportunity to engage after a brief webinar. Please contact me (email address available to residents on Kya) if interested. We will be targeting those passionate environmentalists who are not so impassioned as voters. All thanks to our Indivisible member Janet Sears whose daughter has reached out to us.
Here are our opportunities to make a difference, engage positively and give us hope.
Mark Your Calendars
In the month of May South Sound Indivisible groups are sponsoring a series of virtual Town Hall events to meet candidates. GRI will send out more information, so watch for it in your email (if you subscribe to our updates).
Important Words from Our Action Groups
We are hard at work continuing to write Letters to Voters. We have prepared 600 letters so far and need a lot more. Go to votefwd.org and register and start writing. It is easy and something meaningful to do during this time. We can also write Postcards to Voters and look forward to Postcard Parties once we can gather again. Contact Jean Garwood (find her on Kya) for address and instructions.
We can also call our Members of Congress and thank them for supporting us during this crisis. Their contact numbers can be found on line.
Work continues on our southern border. More later.
Becoming Informed and Taking Action
Each week we are sent a Weekly Call to Action that includes context for most current bills or policies that may call for action. To receive this information, send an email to email@example.com.
Grey Resistance Indivisible (GRI) is a local chapter of the national Indivisible organization.